Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Scenes from South Africa: Durban

When we were at The Peacock Garden in Bohol, for some reason, it reminded me of my stay in Durban.
We stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Umhlanga
We stayed near the lighthouse, which is a landmark of that area.
This is the view from my room
We were there during winter, but the weather was quite warm, so on sunny days, people enjoyed the beach.
Low tide at the beach.

It was a common sight to see guys fishing from the shore.
When the tide starts to come in, they move on top of the rocks.
If I remember correctly, the water was freezing, so I only wet my feet once, for this photo-op!
You could walk on the promenade by the beach to get to this area.
They said that you could see the phantom dolphins from here.
They said that you can also see it from our balcony.
This was me, on one of my jetlagged days when I was up at the crack of dawn,
I can now be honest and say  I did NOT see them!
South Africa was the only place I've been to, where I did not mind the jetlag.
Jusr as the sun was rising, from the dolphin viewing thing.
Just after sunrise.
Light house view.
We had breakfast outdoors every day to enjoy the view of the beach.
Yes those are monkeys in the picture. Not us.
I love how the monkeys manage to get the jam...
and they know how to eat it too...
Aside from the free entertainment, I also remember breakfast to be very good. The hotel had a cold buffet with the normal fruit, juices, bread, cheese, cold cuts and biltong (Dried Meat). Then we placed our order for the hot food, so it was always freshly cooked.
Here's one of my usual orders:
Grape fruit and biltong from the cold buffet
Freshly cooked eggs Ben, sausage and bacon
I always order some variation of bacon (and/or sausage) and eggs
and yes, I am NOT too old to play with my food :)

South Africa is known to be a very dangerous place. We stayed close to our hotel, the nearby mall and the office. But to do justice to a travel post, there must be FOOD!!!

They call this dish Bunnychow.It's very popular in Durban because of the Indian influence in this area.
It can best be described as the curry (your choice of meat) version of Seafood Chowder in a bread bowl.
I ate my Bunnychow the low carb way.
Photo Credit: Lynn Meng
The other thing that was really good that could be found on every street corner was Nando's.
Did you know that Nando's is from South Africa?
I love ordering quarter chicken with lemon and herb with a side of Spinach PeriPeri,
then I just add the Peri Peri sauce to taste.
I have many fond memories of good meals, in nice places, that were NOT expensive at all. I probably had a good steak every other day. Hahaha. Seriously! But since I had no intention of blogging about them when I was there, I don't think I took any photos!  That's just one of the many reasons why I should find a way to go back.

That's all for now, you may want to watch a short video I made on Umhlanga that I found from my archives! :) 

I will blog about Capetown and the Safari soon... Be warned, I also have videos from there. Hahaha... Just Saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment